Straightforward install, but problems!

From: William F. O'Neill <wfoneill001_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:54:13 -0500

I downloaded Oracle 10g from the Oracle site, and installed same on my laptop ( uses WINXP). Responded with all the Default prompts, and the installation terminated successfully. Same with the Client download. However, from day one, I've had problems: 1) When accessing OEM from the web, after I log in with SYS/password, the next screen shows a Metrics Collection Error. When I attempt to 'START' the DB, I get a ERROR 500 Internal Service Error, and cannot proceed any further.
2) If I attempt to access OEM from client GUI interface, when I click on my database, I get this innocuous mesage: "The Procedure entry point kpuhhalo could not be located in the dynamic link library oci.dll" I've spent several hours going thru the Installation documentation, which I also downloaded. Nothing there to even give me a clue what the solution is to either of my problems. Have also spent more hours thna I care to mention on Google and various Oracle sites looking around, and can find nothing that can help me. Some Oracle folks here suggested that I move the Home directory to be first in the path. That didn't help. I then looked to ensure that I had oci.dll on my computer, and I do. I also put a copy of this dll in the \winnt\systems32 subdir. What bothers me is that the installations went smoothly, and I picked the Default options on everything. Why am I experiencing these problems? Am completely frustrated, and am about to trash Oracle 10g. Really can't afford to be wasting my time. I'm not a DBA, nor do I have any desire to become one. Am a Senior Powerbuilder Developer, and wanted to install Oracle 10g just to get some familiarity with it. Received on Thu Feb 10 2005 - 20:54:13 CST