Re: Db2, Oracle, SQL Server

From: Mark A <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 08:06:16 -0700

"Valentin Minzatu" <v.a.l.e.n.t.i.n.m.i.n.z.a.t.u_at_y_a_h_o_o.c_o_m> wrote in message news:tKWdnTrD5KFGxpbfRVn-sg_at_rogers.com...
> I still cannot recollect which IBM document I've seen where it was stated
> that DB2's HA feature does not replicate DDLs or some of them, but I will
> get back once I find it. Consider this one closed for now.

There are several flavors of HA in DB2, none of them the same as RAC.

HADR does do all SQL (including DDL) on both nodes, anything that hits the logs.

> Per my understanding: DB2 partitions the data at the cluster level (must
you
> have a cluster, parallel server?), therefore each node has its own data
and
> when the query is submitted, one node acts as a dispatcher while the
others
> execute it and then the results are merged in memory. Oracle allows for
this
> as well, but it does not impose it as a limit. One could easily execute
the
> same query in a serial manner (i.e. one single server process retrieves
all
> the data querying each partition). The advantage is that if one of the
nodes
> go down you do not need to repartition the table or move data around at
all.
> It is already available as it is shared by all nodes. - please correct me
if
> i am wrong - I would also like to know if DB2 has the ability to exchange
> partitions without taking the table/partition offline.

This would be for DPF. HACMP uses shared disk. Q-Replicaiton and HADR also can use shared disk (but only for the logs or the Q Replciation que). Received on Thu Feb 10 2005 - 09:06:16 CST