ORA-4031 - running out of memory

From: steve <steve_at_invalid.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:14:07 -0000

Can anyone tell me what ORACLE (9.2.0.4) uses to decide how much space it can free up for new items in the SGA?

We have some horrible SQL that is not using bind variables, and hence only used once. Until I can get the developers to rewrite the code, why do these SQL objects not get aged out to make room for newer items? I know there is the problem of fragmentation, but if there is plenty of allocated SGA memory then why can't ORACLE free enough space?

I'm not too hot on the tuning side of things, and have only just moved from 8.1.7 to 9.2.0.4, so I have only quickly explored enterprise manager and the tuning pack.

Cheers

Steve Received on Thu Feb 10 2005 - 07:14:07 CST