Re: controlfile backup

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.nospam.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 12:30:44 GMT

"vertigo" <ax178_at_wp.pl> wrote in message news:cufaic$e6d$1_at_nemesis.news.tpi.pl...
> Hello
>
> I read that controlfile should be backuped while instance is shut down.
> SO what for is: ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO filename ?

Hi Michal

A control file should only be physically *copied* while the database is not opened.

To backup a control file while the database is open, use the above command or/and (perhaps better still) ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE.

Careful what you read ...

Cheers

Richard Received on Thu Feb 10 2005 - 06:30:44 CST