Re: Db2, Oracle, SQL Server

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 17:41:24 -0800

Serge Rielau wrote:

> Hmm, I may have used sloppy language. It apears there is a difference of
> opinion on what READ COMMITTED means, but I couldn't google my way
> quickly to a formal definition... It apears DB2 docs believe READ
> COMMITTED is matches by DB2's CURSOR STABILITY. That is definitely not
> what Oracle does. But since my head hurts thinking more deeply about
> this I fold. :-)

The isolation levels are defined by what they prevent. READ COMMITTED typically only prevents dirty reads. CURSOR STABILITY is slightly more draconian in it's behaviour than READ COMMITTED in that it also prevents lost updates, but does not prevent Fuzzy Read (As does REPEATABLE READ) Received on Wed Feb 09 2005 - 19:41:24 CST