Re: Db2, Oracle, SQL Server

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 19:20:10 +1100

Serge Rielau apparently said,on my timestamp of 9/02/2005 12:47 AM:

> Noons, where is IBM critizing multi-version read consistency?
> Speaking for myself (which is all I can do) please point me to where I
> use the words "better" or "worse"? There is no such thing as a free
> lunch however, and that is what is often forgotten by some posters.
> And if pointing that out is criticism, I'll carry that burden.

I meant criticism as in academic, informed one. The kind that knowledgeable people do. I think it should be done and I have no problem with it. Long overdue, there are some aspects of Oracle row locking that I feel could be improved. That will require someone external to push the right buttons, so to speak. Uninformed marketing crap though, gets my fur rubbed the wrong way. I'm too old to change now.

> on. DB2 from release to release get's more subtle about locking while
> Oracle is reliefing the burden of managing rollback segments.

Yup, very much so.

> Correct, locking is the means to the end of isolation level.
> It is isolation level that an App developer designs for and it is
> locking that a developer works around ;-)

App designer. Developers rarely design, they just follow instructions. But, agreed.

> Apparently the industry believes they are all needed, including multi
> version.

"The industry" is thick as a brick. J2EE is the best proof. ;)

> Hard to believe you falling for MS vapor ware ;-)

Sure. Problem is: I've got no reason to doubt this one. Allow me to keep for myself why.

> https://www14.software.ibm.com/webapp/iwm/web/preLogin.do?pkgid=&S_SRCID=db2udbese82&source=db2udbese82&S_TACT=104AH+W42&S_CMP=&S_PKG=dl&s=c&ltype=select&l=English+US&mtype=input&m=download&id=2005-01-28+13%3A18%3A49.083531R&fam=&cat=database

Sorry: secure and won't let me in without rego. But I take your point. Like I said: informed criticism and healthy competition can only result in mutual improvement. Nothing wrong with that.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto