Re: Frequent log switches during sqlldr batch jobs

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 8 Feb 2005 14:41:19 -0800

Xho wrote:

>In most systems I see, the online redo logs are protected by mirroring
and multiplexing >to the same extent as the freshly archived rego logs are (if not more). Is this not >usually the case?

Some places are SAME, others are pretty variable. Some places are cheap enough to require RAID-5, but will grudgingly give RAID1/0 to the redos - remember, the redo's will be a fixed size, but the archived redo's will be quite variable based on transaction rate and restore requirements. Also, I've seen some places give internal drives to redo, just because they are too small to be used by anything else.

And don't forget standby, and alternative archive destinations, which may have completely different requirements and configuration. You never know what strangeness an "architect" will come up with.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Let's rebrand an old db and call it new!