Re: moving from Sun to Windows

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: 8 Feb 2005 08:13:58 -0800

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 21:55:16 +0100, "Matthias Hoys"
> <idmwarpzone_NOSPAM__at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >You can do all the scripting you want with batch files and Visual
Basic
> >Scripting language.
>
> Still this would mean vendor lock in. Does WSH exists for any Unix
> platform?
> For how many platforms Perl exists, or Tcl/tk, including Microsux?
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

I for one don't really care that my day to day database admin scripts are specific to the platform and apps that I am currently running. How long does it take to write a suitable 'generic' archive deletion script say for linux or solaris or whatever other os you like, the fact that my windows ones are in vbscript is somewhat irrelevant compared to the costs of switching platforms - I'll bet that even switching from solaris to hp-ux incurs more costs than the benefit you get from platform independent shell scripts.

Niall Received on Tue Feb 08 2005 - 10:13:58 CST