Upgrade issue? Can't start/stop oracle if non dba started it

From: Danos <screamager_at_tjohoo.se>
Date: 8 Feb 2005 02:50:48 -0800

Hi,

recently upgraded from Oracle 8.1.7 to 9.2 on Solaris 9 and I'm having some problems. One of our applications won't start if I start Oracle as an oracle dba (gid is dba). There seems to be some issue there

If I start Oracle is a member of the dba group but has a different active group the application will start but I get errors when trying to stop the database as a dba. I start sqlplus with the /nolog switch and connect as sysdba (sys). First of all sqlplus tells me I'm connected to and idle instance and then...

shutdown immediate

gives me the following errors:

ORA-24324: service handle not initialized
ORA-24323: value not allowed
ORA-27140: attach to post/wait facility failed

If I try to force a startup it gives me the following error: ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

It's the same way if I do it the other way around... that is if i start oracle with a user that has gid=dba and try to shut it down with a user that is just a member of the dba group i get the same errors.

Anyone have any ideas? Received on Tue Feb 08 2005 - 04:50:48 CST