Re: How To Change Log Switch Sequence?

From: Charles Davis <cdavis10717_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 18:29:06 -0500

"Sybrand Bakker" <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl> wrote in message news:s8hf0154jcggkrr8m519ks7milor09i9od_at_4ax.com...
> Comments embedded
>

> On 7 Feb 2005 11:29:42 -0800, cdavis10717_at_comcast.net wrote:
>
>>Hi, all,
>>
>>I'd like to alter the sequence of my ReDo Groups after a log switch
>>occurs.
>>
>>Right now they are not switching in Group Number sequence, and I'd like
>>to change that without dropping/recreating them.
>>
> They are switching in the order they *NEED* to switch. If you start
> fooling around with that, you are bound to screw up your database.
>

>>I'd like better disk separation of my ReDos and they are not switching
>>in an order that is conducive to that.
>>
> The various members of a group should go to different drives, however
> there should be no problem to allocate all the first member of group 1
> on the same drive as the first member of group 2 and the first member
> of group 3, as redo log groups are never being written too
> simultaneously.
>
>>Is there a system table(s) I can alter to control this? If so, how
>>please?
>

> YOU SHOULD NEVER EVER 'alter' SYSTEM TABLES, or you will either screw
> up your database OR loose support, or BOTH.
>
> The procedure to reorganize online redolog files without stopping the
> database is described in the Oracle Server Utilities Manual.
> Please read it asap. Right you are a DANGER to your database and your
> company.
>

>>Thanks.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Mr/Ms Bakker,

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I'm not certain but I think you've called me a DANGER to my company!! ha ha

I assure you, the ReDo devices are raw devices that are each striped across 3 drives, but my Unix Admin mapped Group A and B to the same 3 drives, Group C and Group D to the same 3 drives, etc.

I was merely asking how to get my ReDos to switch from A to C to B to D, that's all.

I accessed the Utilities manual on Tahiti. I found nothing in the Utilities manual that describes if this can be controlled and how, as I think you are saying in your reply.

If you could please point out where in that Utilities Manual i would surely love to read it.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Received on Mon Feb 07 2005 - 17:29:06 CST