Re: Scalability of Replication?

From: GreyBeard <Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 23:26:21 GMT

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 10:10:54 -0600, Jeff McWilliams wrote:

> If it were me, I'd be tempted to push for a web based application that's
> centrally located and sits on a load-balancing cluster of web/app servers.
> However, I don't have all the details about their app yet to determine
> if that's realistic - plus that design would have the downside of
> cutting off the branch offices if they had a network outage.

If you look closely at ORacle's 'message' for the past 10 years, you will find they agree with you on this. In fact, they claim to have saved a billion $ (possibly now bilions) by going to a central environment - and that takes into account the cost of networking and appropriate network redundancy.

It may go against the grain, but it really is worth your (and your customer's) while to have Oracle discuss this with your customer's management. Oracle has a forum, called Corporate Visit, which includes a trip to their offices and a set of presentations by various Oraclites (tailored to the needs of the visit). When I worked in Oracle, the visits to the CVC (Corp. Visit Center) were extremely important in helping customer management understand what they are getting, and I always made sure partners were involved to mututal benefit.

In general, the cost of managing servers and managing upgrades in a replication environment becomes quite heavy, with the possible exception of replication to Oracle Lite (on laptops).

lol/FGB Received on Sun Feb 06 2005 - 17:26:21 CST