Re: Effect of truncate table on standby database

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.nospam.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 21:07:35 GMT

<premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1107630364.509324.300370_at_f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>I am on HP UNIX 11 and Oracle 8.1.6.2. I cannot move to a newer version
> and my question perhaps is not version dependent.
>
> I have a primary database on one server and a standby database on
> another server. If I enter a truncate table command on primary
> database, I am assuming it will get applied on standby database
> as well. Standby database has some limitations related to commands
> with no logging, but it is my understanding that truncate command even
> though it does not generate redo logs gets applied on standby database
> truncating the table.

Correct, a truncate command does get applied to a standby database precisely because it *does* generate redo (sure, not in the same manner as a delete but changes to the segment header where the HWM is stored and any associated changes to the space management side of things are logged).

Cheers

Richard Received on Sat Feb 05 2005 - 15:07:35 CST