Re: shutdown mmediate gets hung

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 4 Feb 2005 05:31:38 -0800

Dave wrote:
> Personally I wouldn't use a script like that to to shutdown the
> database. First he needs to find out the reason why it is
'hanging'.
> Most likely Oracle is trying to rollback user connections or clean
up
> other tasks. Forcing the sessions to disconnect isn't going to
speed
> up the process.

As I stated in a follow-up post:

"Something is causing your 'hang', and my money is on a recovery operation necessitated by the 'shutdown abort'."

The OP has stated no DBMS_JOBS are running nor is Advanced Queueing. My intent is to give the OP some direction in which to go to eliminate his 'shutdown abort' operation he now uses. I fully agree he needs to discover *WHY* this behaviour has started when previously it did not exist, and I don't expect *any* script, by me, Jonathan Lewis, Howard J. Rogers, Thomas Kyte, Cary Millsap, or even you, to fix the problem. I'm sorry you appear to think that I do. I *do* feel the OP needs to be pointed toward a different tact, one that is less likely to cause the 'problem' he now faces, and that is the thrust of my offering. If he uses it as written (with his backup code added) that is his choice. If he uses it as a guideline to write something different, yet without relying on a 'shutdown abort', that's perfectly fine by me as well. I am *not* offering guaranteed solutions, merely suggestions from another point of view.

It is sad when examples presented to provoke thought are taken to be absolute solutions when such is not the case, nor the intent.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri Feb 04 2005 - 07:31:38 CST