Re: DB2 Crushes Oracle RAC on TPC-C benchmark

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 14:35:23 GMT

On 2005-01-31, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:
> Mark Townsend wrote:
>
>> Mark A wrote:
>>

>>> Now clearly, there are some advantages to the Oracle RAC configuration
>>> that
>>> DB2 does not have, but cost of initial investment or cost of ownership is
>>> not one of them.
>>>

>> I do note (in passing and completely facetiously) that the IBM result
>> has a stunning $13.8 million discount off the nearly $30 million price tag.
>>
>> So at the very least, even the mention of a potential Oracle RAC
>> configuration (perhaps running on Linux) should be good for at least a
>> similar 47% discount on hardware from IBM. Now there is an advantage of
>> an Oracle RAC configuration that even DB2 users can partake of :-P
>
> The balance remaining after that discount, $16.2 million, would buy 4629
> 2 proc 1U servers from CDW for a total of more than 9250 CPUs. Ok ...

        Are those machines that you REALLY want in your datacenter.

        Ignoring that for the moment, you still have the problems of...

	You forgot the extra RAC licenses.
	You forgot the extra veritas licenses.
	You forgot the extra DBA manpower for the extra instances.
	You forgot the extra Sysamin manpower for the extra servers.
	You forgot the extra Veritas expertise.
	You forgot the cost to install and cable all of this.
	You forgot the extra datacenter real estate.
	You forgot the extra datacenter infastructure.
	You forgot the extra interconnect hardware.
	You forgot the extra san admin manpower.
	You forgot the extra network admin manpower.

	Then, once all of that is dealt with you still need to worry about
	RAC actually scaling to that many machines.

> give me the money and 30 days I'll take them on. Anytime ... Anwhere.
> A $13.8 million dollar discount? I don't know how they can walk down the
> street without stopping in every confessional.

        That's funny, I was thinking the same of you. It's good that we're not in a profession where you can get arrested for being a charlatain.

--
     If you think that an 80G disk can hold HUNDRENDS of           |||
hours of DV video then you obviously haven't used iMovie either.  / | \