Re: Simply question about TO_NUMBER function

From: Tom Dyess <tdyess_at_dysr.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 08:38:36 -0500

"Sybrand Bakker" <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl> wrote in message news:89e301d6jdhhgqrecvt42hrpbbo3vl1eb5_at_4ax.com...
> On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 00:18:06 +0100, "MariMax"
> <massimo.panero_at_powertiscali.it> wrote:
>
>>Someone have another idea to resolve the problem quickly?
>

> Try using the correct datatype for your needs: don't store numbers in
> varchar2's. Especially never use function(<column) = constant as this
> will prevent the use of indexes, or you must be trying to be put
> together an application as inefficient as possible.
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

DA: Just trying to eleminate the simplest solutions first. He didn't have padded 0's in the example code, so I figured I'd ask.

Sybrand: Most of the time (unfortunately) developers are thrown into an environment where the ERD has already been developed incorrectly and an application has been fitted to it. Changing all the incorrect datatypes would be expensive and changing just the one you want would be expensive and incosistant with the rest of the database. Given a developer is responsible for the design of the model, I agree with you 100%. Lol.

Tom Dyess
OraclePower.com Received on Thu Feb 03 2005 - 07:38:36 CST