Re: Beginner help needed in database design

From: Drago Ganic <drago.ganic_at_in2.hr>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 12:12:10 +0100

Frank,
You and I are entities (something, object .. whatever term You prefer). As such, we have properties (features, attributes, fields, ...) which

>>describe<< us . The whole set of the properties >>identify<< us from other
>>entities in the Universe. Identification is equivalent to uniqueness,
>>because You (and I) believe that we are unique and have at least ONE
>>property which value is different. In we are described with the same set
>>of properties (but different values) we belong to the same Entity Type (or
>>Class ... name it). This is also a shortcut, because it's easier to group
>>the individual entities in sets/types. You and I are in the same set :-)

Yes, the ID numbers are a TECHNICAL shortcut because the number of properties is infinite and we never know them all explicitly .. but we do know (or believe to know) that we are unique. Therefore we need an identification vehicle. People "names" were a nice try to solve the problem. If we lived in a small village with 200 people and with no communication that would be OK. Today, numbers (integers) are used. In 10 or so years fingerprints or eyescans will be used (for entities which have them, of course :-).

So, YES the IDs are a technical thing in so far as NAMES ("Drago Ganic", or "Frank van Bortel") are a technical because we do not now the values of all the attributes. In that case (If we would know everything about anybody) the "natural" key would be it's attribute-value set. In the absence of that knowledge, we add (or invent) an attribute which we call Name, Surname, Name+ Surname, SSN etc.

In the discourse above I have not mention Microsoft, Oracle, IBM, SQL, Java, Basic, pointers, indexes, hash tables etc. So it is and it is not Technology :-)

Greetings from Croatia
Drago Ganic