Re: how to impelement distributed database in oracle

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2 Feb 2005 09:18:00 -0800

GreyBeard wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 20:42:16 -0800, Kapil wrote:
>
> > how to impelement distributed database in oracle(else). can any
body
> > tell me some tutorial or suggest book/site etc.
>
> What do you mean by 'distributed database'?

<snip>

This is copy and paste from Oracle docs at tahiti.oracle.com

Distributed Databases Overview
A distributed database is a network of databases managed by multiple database servers that are used together. They are not usually seen as a single logical database. The data of all databases in the distributed database can be simultaneously accessed and modified. The primary benefit of a distributed database is that the data of physically separate databases can be logically combined and potentially made accessible to all users on a network.

Each computer that manages a database in the distributed database is called a node. The database to which a user is directly connected is called the local database. Any additional databases accessed by this user are called remote databases. When a local database accesses a remote database for information, the local database is a client of the remote server. This is an example of client/server architecture.

A database link describes a path from one database to another. Database links are implicitly used when a reference is made to a global object name in a distributed database.

While a distributed database enables increased access to a large amount of data across a network, it must also hide the location of the data and the complexity of accessing it across the network. The distributed database management system must also preserve the advantages of administrating each local database as though it were not distributed. Regards
/Rauf Received on Wed Feb 02 2005 - 11:18:00 CST