Re: Temp tables and redo log/archive mode

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 09:39:07 +0100

miskiewicz2_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> during a data import we need to import data into a table to process it
> there and after processing it we need to delete all data from that
> table. This works just fine, however this bloats the redo log. When run
> but the database in archive mode, but we don't need the redo for that
> action. Is a temp table a solution here, i.e. when I use a temp table
> for the data import or a buffer will this data creation and deletion of
> data in that table be still protocolled in the redo log?
>

> Thanks
> Tom

And your version is?

External tables might be an option for you: no need to load the data at all and no redolog generation either.

However, this fails of course if you're building indexes on the staging table (because to my knowledge you can't build indexes on external tables - they are lacking the rowid).

HTH
Holger Received on Tue Feb 01 2005 - 02:39:07 CST