Re: Restricted Use - License - OEM 12c

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 16:09:09 +0000

A couple of comments.

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 9:32 PM, Peter Sharman <pete.sharman_at_oracle.com> wrote:

> A few points to add on this topic:
>

> · The most important point is who uses specific functionality
> (not just the management packs but more broadly than that). The example I
> keep using - and Kellyn is probably is probably sick of hearing from me! J
> - is Partitioning. We (as in Oracle Corporation) use Partitioning
> internally in the OMR. You do NOT need to buy a license for Partitioning
> for that, as it’s something we use. If, however, you want to create your
> own user tables in the OMR database (which is a dumb idea, for numerous
> reasons) and then you try to partition those user tables, Oracle
> Corporation requires you to buy a Partitioning license for that use.

I'd be interested to hear those "numerous reasons". The OEM repository is a great source of information about *my* estate that I'd like to leverage for various purposes - mostly reporting - but other use cases as well. The database that we run that hosts an EM with nearly 3000 targets (targets don't half multiply :) ) consistently runs a load of under 1 AAS (kudos to the developers). Now I can create a companion database for the purposes of dumping data from the OEM repository, but that does seem rather daft when I would naturally just create my own schema and/or Apex app. I recognise doing so has license implications (but we host our repo on a licensed cluster anyway since we want DR and HA already), so as I say I'd love to know why extending OEM in this way is a bad idea.

· Please, please, PLEASE do not relink the OMR kernel to remove
> functionality that you think you’re not licensed for. I had a client do
> that on me once, and it left an unholy mess to try and recover. There were
> additional issues in this case that I won’t cover here, but buy me a beer
> at a conference when you see me and I’ll tell you all the gory details
> while protecting the customer’s otherwise good name! J

Indeed

> · The simplest way of thinking of the licensing side for the OMR
> is this. Any management pack functionality that is licensed with a
> particular pack for a non-repository database needs to be licensed for the
> repository database. Let me give you an example. Notifications for issues
> with a target database require the Diagnostics pack. Likewise, if you want
> to receive notifications for issues with the OMR, you need to buy a
> Diagnostics pack license for that use with the OMR. As always, the
> licensing guide is the single source of truth on this, even if it’s not
> particularly clear at times! J Licensing guide for EM13c is located here
> <http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E63000_01/OEMLI/toc.htm>, and for EM12c is
> located here <http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24628_01/doc.121/e24474/toc.htm>.

It would be nice then if the OEM Database Templates actually made the init parameter change HANS describes, especially as an oem administrators database account doesn't have sufficient privileges to view the performance pages in OEM for the OEM database target anyway :).

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

image001.jpg