RE: gathering resource usage data for management : Oracle RAC

From: Dimensional DBA <dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 03:04:37 -0800

One thing to ask your management is any other team producing reports for management relative to the other components of the architecture like Storage, Servers, Apps etc that they would like to see for databases. If they are, you may find that you really need to use the same format or tool they are using. I have had many instances in the past where we generated some nice graphics and tabular reports for management to only be asked why we aren't using tool X (like your BI SW) to generate a dashboard like the rest of the teams. Why are you not showing availability or calculating availability like the rest of the teams.

Asking up front can save you some embarrassment in a meeting and save time from generating what they don't want.

Matthew Parker
Chief Technologist
Dimensional DBA
425-891-7934 (cell)