RE: Oracle Heap memory usage by listener

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 08:36:55 -0500

I don't know about them and with the service model this concern is answered, but the original reason MOSES and VLDB recommended a listener for each instance on a machine was so that remote attempts to connect to a given instance could be pre-empted with the minimum overhead by shutting off a given listener. Since each instance had its own listener, no inconvenience was experienced by users of any other instance. I believe the service model was introduced (at least in part) to address this concern.

Furthermore, in the multi-threaded server model from before the thread, that too could be controlled distinctly for each instance more easily.

Machines of the day did not contemplate such large numbers of instances running on a single machine. The useful limit there was easily less than 2 dozen and probably was closer to 10.

mwf