Re: Oracle Design For Performance Question

From: Michael Cunningham <napacunningham_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 09:45:28 -0800

Thanks everyone for the input. Here is a little more info in case it helps.

The text column is varchar2(4000), but the avg size is much less (not sure yet, but let's go with 250). There are no attachments in this system.

I had not thought of LGWR yet so thanks for mentioning that. RAC licensing is not a problem, but the learning curve does concern me a little. I never thought that RAC could improve performance by scaling the LGWR to different servers.

If you have more to say please do.

Thanks a bunch,
Michael

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 8:41 AM, Stefan Koehler <contact_at_soocs.de> wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> > Could this be done in a single Oracle 12c database? What do you suppose
> would be hardware requirements? Could SAS disk work or SSD disk required?
>
> Unfortunately these questions can not be answered that easily just by
> looking at the amount of messages in average or at peak time. Just think
> about
> message length, data types, possible attachments (stored in LOBs), etc..
> What is your expected redo rate per sec and per transaction? Disregarding
> application and data design or SQLs and their execution plans for now, the
> max data throughput is mostly (physically) limited by (single) LGWR. The
> large servers can handle a tremendous amount of workload (in respective of
> CPU and I/O), but you still have such a single point of contention like the
> LGWR. The next question would be: Do these messages have to be persistent
> (e.g. redo settings) at any time, etc.?
>
> So as you can see it is impossible to answer without having a full spec of
> the business and data.
>
> Best Regards
> Stefan Koehler
>
> Freelance Oracle performance consultant and researcher
> Homepage: http://www.soocs.de
> Twitter: _at_OracleSK
>
> > Michael Cunningham <napacunningham_at_gmail.com> hat am 28. Januar 2015 um
> 17:10 geschrieben:
> >
> > I have a question about designing a messaging app. The messaging app is
> being moved to Oracle and receives around 20 million messages per day (231
> > per second avg). I'm not sure about the # of messages at peak time, but
> let's assume 2000 per second.
> >
> > Could this be done in a single Oracle 12c database? What do you suppose
> would be hardware requirements? Could SAS disk work or SSD disk required?
> > We may want HA as well so RAC may come up.
> >
> > I've never designed a system with this high of throughput so please
> bombard me with your feedback.
> >
> > Also, I'm curious about scaling to 100 million messages per day.
> >
> > Another option would be to have several databases accepting the data,
> but then we have to be able to accept that a transaction committing data to
> > 2+ databases may have a failure and the data consistency may be lost.
> Thoughts?
> >
> > --
> > Michael Cunningham

Michael Cunningham