RE: skipping tables on export

From: Powell, Mark <mark.powell2_at_hp.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 16:54:35 +0000

Jack, true I forgot to mention that a local database on the client is still required which is a major drawback, but you can sometimes use this alternate expdp approach such as when you have an export file space issue on the source server so I think it is worth knowing about.

From: Jack Applewhite [mailto:jack.applewhite_at_austinisd.org] Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 11:43 AM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org; Powell, Mark Subject: Re: skipping tables on export

Mark,

That MOS doc is somewhat misleading. The Client machine must have an Oracle DB to which you connect in order to do the export from the DB specified by the DB Link. You cannot us ExpDP to create a set of export files on a simple client PC, for example. A database with a Directory to which you have read and write privs on is always required.

We use DataPump extensively and do huge Exports/Imports across DB Links. It's a great, great utility. I'm working right now on a PL/SQL package giving all our developers the ability to backup and restore selected objects using the DBMS_DataPump supplied package. It's taken a ton of reading the docs and Googling to work out the correct syntax for all the procedures, but the results are really slick.

HTH

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator Austin I.S.D. - MIS Department
512.414.9250 (wk)

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>> on behalf of Powell, Mark <mark.powell2_at_hp.com<mailto:mark.powell2_at_hp.com>> Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 8:35 AM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: RE: skipping tables on export

I have not done this but I believe that

You can run expdp from a client writing the file to the database server You can run expdp from a client and write the export file to the client

Based on the following Oracle support note: How To Generate The DataPump Dump File On The Sever Or On The Client Machine (Doc ID 1385324.1)

HTH From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Mladen Gogala Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 8:09 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: skipping tables on export

The only capability of the good, old exp/imp that I miss is the fact that I can no longer perform it on the client side.

On 01/27/2015 06:31 PM, anthony Sanchez wrote: I have a encountered this before, and the segments that were skipped were indeed the deferred ones. I used the scripts here to create the segments prior to export.

http://mruhtel.blogspot.com/2012/03/oracle-11g-and-export-empty-tables.html

 You can also use data pump which is far superior to import/export in my opinion.

Regards,
Anthony Sanchez

On Tue Jan 27 2015 at 2:37:57 PM Jure Bratina <jure.bratina_at_gmail.com<mailto:jure.bratina_at_gmail.com>> wrote: Probably because of deferred segment creation: http://oracle-base.com/articles/11g/segment-creation-on-demand-11gr2.php . exp doesn't export such objects, whereas DataPump does. Regards,
Jure Bratina

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 10:28 PM, Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us<mailto:don_at_seiler.us>> wrote: If you're on 11.2 I would definitely get familiar with expdp/impdp.

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 3:25 PM, Zelli, Brian <Brian.Zelli_at_roswellpark.org<mailto:Brian.Zelli_at_roswellpark.org>> wrote: Don't have the log and I was using the good old exp........could that be the problem?

Brian

From: Don Seiler [mailto:don_at_seiler.us<mailto:don_at_seiler.us>] Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 4:22 PM
To: Zelli, Brian
Cc: oracle-l (oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>) Subject: Re: skipping tables on export

Can you post the log of the export operation, and the parameters or parameter file you're using? I assume you're using expdp (data pump)?

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 3:18 PM, Zelli, Brian <Brian.Zelli_at_roswellpark.org<mailto:Brian.Zelli_at_roswellpark.org>> wrote: I exported my prod schema to import into a test schema. It seems to be skipping tables while I am watching the import. I've never had that happen before. Why would it skip on export? 11gR2 on HPUX......

Brian

This email message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this email message is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete this email message from your computer. Thank you.

--

Don Seiler
http://www.seiler.us

This email message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this email message is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete this email message from your computer. Thank you.

--

Don Seiler
http://www.seiler.us

--

Mladen Gogala

Oracle DBA

http://mgogala.freehostia.com
Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including all attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential student and/or employee information. Unauthorized use of disclosure is prohibited under the federal Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. §1232g, 34 CFR Part 99, 19 TAC 247.2, Gov't Code 552.023, Educ. Code 21.355, 29 CFR 1630.14(b)(c)). If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, copy or disseminate this information. Please call the sender immediately or reply by email and destroy all copies of the original message, including attachments.

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Wed Jan 28 2015 - 17:54:35 CET

Original text of this message