Re: In what circumstances might optimizer not choose the lowest cost?

From: Kim Berg Hansen <kibeha_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 15:33:29 +0100

Hi again

_at_Mladen:

Yes, I have histograms, including the hidden columns.

_at_Mauro:

It does appear that the unpeeked bind variable is involved here. I did a trial with bind variables in SQL*Plus that I've set before the parsing/call of the queries - that worked nicely no matter if my check constraint is in place or not.

As unfortunately I cannot help that my production environment isn't really using bind variable peeking, I'll research this further and see if I hit something similar to Doc ID 4112254.8. In normal operation this hasn't been a problem before, but then I'm using very very few FBI's. If I can make something reproducible testcase, I'll try it out on version 12 and see - if it's fixed there, I can wait until Easter where we (probably) will upgrade.

Until then I'll just have to beware how I use FBI's in an environment without bind variable peeking...

Thanks all, for the inputs. Very helpful to get some pointers where to look :-)

Regards

Kim Berg Hansen

http://dspsd.blogspot.com
kibeha_at_gmail.com