Cross Platform Database Migration Using TTS from Cooked Filesystem to ASM (OMF - I Hope)

From: David Barbour <david.barbour1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2015 10:26:42 -0600

Good Morning,

We're running Oracle 11.2.0.3 on HPUX 64-bit Itanium using conventional cooked filesystems. Need to move this to a Linux x86 64-bit, also running 11.2.0.3. Due to the size of this thing, I'd like to use transportable tablespaces. I've done this before using cooked filesystem to cooked file system, and asm to asm, but never from cooked to asm. I don't anticipate any problems, but I'd like to end up with OMF names.

I plan to convert the tablespaces on the source and put the resulting converted files into a directory I can nfs mount to the new server.

The metadata will be extracted using DataPump. When I've got the converted files attached to the new server and invoke impdp with the TRANSPORT_DATAFILES= parameter, will these automatically be converted to OMF if I have the db_create_file_dest set to the ASM data volume for this database?

Any useful insights regarding the move gained through experience would be appreciated as well.