Re: Dataguard Exadata -> Database Appliance

From: Andy Colvin <acolvin_at_enkitec.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 11:00:31 -0700

One thing that many people don't think about regarding DR to a non-Exadata system is HCC. While you can run a physical standby on a non-Exadata system, you will need to decompress objects that are compressed before you can actually query that data. This means 2 things for you - your DR system will need more storage space than the primary system (if you get 10X compression, that 100GB table is now 1TB), and you will need to account for that time needed to decompress into your SLA for DR. Decompression is CPU-intensive, so depending on how many CPUs you have, the longer it will take. This could take your time for a failover from minutes to hours, depending on what you have compressed.

While I wouldn't recommend going to a non-Exadata system for DR, make sure that you take these factors into account if you are going to go that way.

Andy Colvin
Practice Director
Enkitec
acolvin_at_enkitec.com