Re: segment growth

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2014 14:13:04 -0700 (PDT)

I'm going to agree with Ryan that segment-level statistics on growth tells a better tale; the DBA can see which segments are growing the most in a given period of time and can plan accordingly.  Simply monitoring the tablespace doesn't provide enough information for me; I want/need to know which segments are 'at fault' for 'eating up' the space.  It's then possible to track down an errant process or piece of code doing things it probably shouldn't, knowing which table or tables it's using.  It's also possible to see when extremely large tables are created 'on-the-fly', tables that may not be around very long, that extend a tablespace or consume most of the free space you had yesterday.  Such knowledge allows the DBA to plan for such occurrences and possibly create tablespaces for such objects ('temporary' tables that aren't global temporary tables).

David Fitzjarrell
Primary author, "Oracle Exadata Survival Guide"

On Monday, April 7, 2014 1:06 PM, "Iotzov, Iordan" <IIotzov_at_newsamerica.com> wrote:

Why do you care about segment growth?
You can add/remove disk at tablespaces level, so I think that forecasting at tablespace level makes sense.
I do not use AWR for disk forecasting because the typical retention period is way too short – usually a couple of weeks. I am aware that it could be changed, but I the disk storage associated with a retention increase can be significant if the retention is to be changed to a few months or a couple of years.

You can source your data from the OEM repository (if licensed and used) and/or your own custom repository for capacity and performance data.
While there are many ways/techniques for trend analysis, a simple linear regression is a good first step.
It is important (as Mark already mentioned) that you do confidence calculations, such as confidence intervals and coefficient of determination (R squared), to insure that the model (linear regression in our case) fits your data.
My guess is that for many regular tablespaces, linear regression would be OK.

If the model gives too wide confident interval, dues to lack or data points or significant non-linear patterns, or too low R square, you need to accept that the linear model is not good enough and either do “manual” estimates or employ more powerful trend analysis methods.

Iordan Iotzov|Senior Database Administrator, Information Services |News America Marketing
20 Westport Road, 1st floor, Wilton CT 06897 | P 203.563.6472203.563.6472| C 203.423.9269203.423.9269
iiotzov_at_newsamerica.com| newsamerica.com | smartsource.com