RE: RAC with one node as a DR solution

From: <Jay.Miller_at_tdameritrade.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 20:47:31 +0000

One possibility is if they have an unlimited RAC/Database license but no Advanced Dataguard license there is no expense for adding the additional node.

Jay Miller
Sr. Oracle DBA

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Hans Forbrich Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 12:07 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: RAC with one node as a DR solution

On 04/03/2014 9:32 AM, Ruel, Chris wrote: You know, if you are simply looking for a DR solution, I think Dataguard is probably your best bet. You do not have to pay for Active DataGuard (AD) to use regular Dataguard. However, Regular Dataguard requires that you license your remote site which can be expensive by itself...especially when you consider that w/o AD its usage is limited. Please correct me if I am wrong -

As far as I can tell, each node of a RAC needs to have the Database license and the RAC option, whereas each node of a Dataguard environment (including standby) needs the Database license and only needs the Active Data Guard when that functionality is required. (Admittedly, Active Data Guard has compelling functionality.)

According to http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/pricing/price-lists/index.html<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/pricing/price-lists/index.html&k=%2FJMyfAnQZOhZ4dnr8BYv6w%3D%3D%0A&r=DUCASJ0xPpeOmtQ4idyytbAD3iZK7MOOurZhynw7YaA%3D%0A&m=mUECooUnBC7%2F%2FLF4SB3HWYlkp7RHVOqVaCQhy3wrFFA%3D%0A&s=4e6bc50abf1454e5dd0e18abe89c783c4a441cb574a5a493787b9ed0976b6b18> it appears that the Active Data Guard option is 1/2 the cost of the RAC option, per CPU core.

What am I missing?

/Hans