RE: Mixing RAC interconnect with other clusters

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 09:15:04 -0400

IF the VLAN software quality of service actually works for both latency and throughput and reacts quickly enough when challenged with loads on virtual channels other than the private RAC channel.

In practice if your in house experts have correctly configured things there is a tendency to disbelieve that they are not actually protecting the required latency and throughput continuously enough to avoid problems.

As the prices of hardware pieces drop, you need to think long and hard about how few incidents it would take to pay for private physical capacity.

My experience is that the network group does not have to make a mistake for it to NOT work, and then all variety of hilarity ensues and it becomes difficult to remember that the various teams in infrastructure are trying to help each other out.

mwf