RE: Queueing Theory in Oracle

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 15:42:12 +0000

It's an intuitive, and totally informal, assumption based on optimistic analogy.

I believe queueing theory started life in lengths of telephone calls and migrated to bank tellers. The image from those environments has been randomised arrival with a large number of small interactions, with longer interactions appearing at less frequent intervals. The same is probably approximately true of an OLTP system, which we hope tends to deal with large number of small updates and queries, with a smaller number of larger queries (screen full), and fewer longer reports.

Regards
Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com
_at_jloracle