Re: RAC with one node as a DR solution

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2014 10:07:11 -0700

On 04/03/2014 9:32 AM, Ruel, Chris wrote:
> You know, if you are simply looking for a DR solution, I think
> Dataguard is probably your best bet. You do not have to pay for
> Active DataGuard (AD) to use regular Dataguard. However, Regular
> Dataguard requires that you license your remote site which can be
> expensive by itself...especially when you consider that w/o AD its
> usage is limited.

Please correct me if I am wrong -

As far as I can tell, each node of a RAC needs to have the Database license and the RAC option, whereas each node of a Dataguard environment (including standby) needs the Database license and only needs the Active Data Guard when that functionality is required. (Admittedly, Active Data Guard has compelling functionality.)

According to
http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/pricing/price-lists/index.html it appears that the Active Data Guard option is 1/2 the cost of the RAC option, per CPU core.

What am I missing?

/Hans