Re: OEM Policy Violation for Execute Stack

From: David Roberts <big.dave.roberts_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 21:29:49 +0000

I think that this explains it to a greater depth than I understand it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NX_bit

Which I found via this bilingual page:
http://m.blog.csdn.net/blog/anddyhua/9174609

As I understand it, some chips enable segregation of code from data in hardware as a way to eliminate buffer overrun security issues.

For this to be most effective the operating system needs to make sure that the data written to the stack is located in an area that the chip understands as data and should never be executed.

HTH. Dave