RE: Moving VLDB RAC to a new datacenter

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 17:43:23 -0500

DWH you say. So it would be helpful to know what your load strategy, frequency, and size is.

Especially whether or not you have any non-batch updates.

For example if you only loaded new data once a week, you might want ship the whole thing and load them both the cutover week, run plenty of diagnostic queries, rinse and repeat being confident all your feeds and results worked before you released the current production.

Even if it is more frequently than weekly, as long as all the updates are batch processes, it is just a question of shipping some vintage of the database and then applying all the batch loads and supplementary aggregations just as you did to the original. In fact doing that for a whole cycle of loads has the salutary effect of making sure you didn't leave any pieces of software behind.

If you've got manual (meaning people typing stuff) updates or trickle feeds where you never possess the new data independently of the database you still might be able to capture all the inputs for replay, but it would require planning and discipline and knowing where each update fits in relation to an batch loads and aggregations.

The ways you've mentioned below should also work. Best if you've got a log of your exact releases and patches for everything, so nothing is different beyond the network addresses.

mwf