RE: rman restores control to wrong server

From: Chitale, Hemant K <Hemant-K.Chitale_at_sc.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 12:11:52 +0800

A RESTORE uses the "TARGET" connection. So the RESTORE CONTROLFILE uses the TARGET (i.e. Production Database)

A DUPLICATE uses the "AUXILIARY" c onnection.

Hemant K Chitale

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Howard Latham Sent: Friday, February 21, 2014 1:32 AM
To: ORACLE-L
Subject: rman restores control to wrong server

Oracle 11.2

Redhat 5

I've been using the same procedure to create a standby for years yet now I find the rman restore controlfile command on the new standby server are writing to the primary server

Ive even tried settng the aux and target in the recovery script.

set oracle sid to sid of new standby.

connect auxiliary sys/pass

connect target sys/easy_at_primary

restore controlfile to '/data/oradata/tripstby/ctl1.ctl'; <======= writes to old server

duplicate target for standby;

Any suggestions?

On reading back this I think its because its restoring to the primary?

A couple of agrees would convince me ! :-)

--
Howard A. Latham

This email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete all copies and notify the sender immediately. You may wish to refer to the incorporation details of Standard Chartered PLC, Standard Chartered Bank and their subsidiaries at https://www.sc.com/en/incorporation-details.html.