RE: Using Redhat utility 'screen' with oracle install GUI and x11 forwarding

From: Lange, Kevin G <kevin.lange_at_optum.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 22:34:00 +0000

I wonder if this will solve the issue

http://askubuntu.com/questions/9920/x11-forwarding-over-gnu-screen-is-it-possible

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Dba DBA Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2014 4:08 PM To: ORACLE-L
Subject: Re: Using Redhat utility 'screen' with oracle install GUI and x11 forwarding

The forwarding works. 'screen' is a linux utility. It lets you leave your remote session and it keeps running on the server. Its like running nohup, but you can do it with something interactive like sqlplus. Then reconnect later. your session keeps running.

I am looking to see if anyone knows how to get x11 to work with screen. I can re-attach to my unix session, but I think my x11 projection is gone.

http://www.rackaid.com/blog/linux-screen-tutorial-and-how-to/

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 4:53 PM, Lange, Kevin G <kevin.lange_at_optum.com<mailto:kevin.lange_at_optum.com>> wrote: Did you xhost + to allow the forwarding ?

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>] On Behalf Of Dba DBA Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2014 3:49 PM To: ORACLE-L

Redhat 6 64 bit
11.2.0.4 clusterware install
xming run on laptop

I have to get behind a firewall, so I go to a specified unix server and then execute

ssh -X oracle_at_<IP>

In putty I use

x11 forwarding
x display option: localhost:0.0

I do not set the DISPLAY parameter in unix since I am using x11 forwarding. So its a little different.

I ran screen, executed the server. Was able to get back into the server and re-attach to my session.

How do I get back into the x11 forwarding of the GUI installer? I think I did this a few years ago, but I can't remember how. I need to kick off installs and leave, plus my VPN can drop me during the install.

I am re-attached to my screen session, but dont know how to get back into the GUI installer.

anyone know?

This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or proprietary information, and may be used only by the person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.