Re: Oracle Isolation Levels

From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 10:38:18 -0600

  1. The reason to use serializable in oracle would be that it's similar to read only but allows updates. It starts a transaction without any updates or locks. So you could start the transaction, run a bunch of queries, then do some updates later and have everything happen consistently.

2-3. In practice I haven't yet noticed anyone using isolation levels, so I suspect usage is rare. But then I usually work on the system side and don't see everything the apps are doing. I've often seen that developers overlook this or they consciously decide it's not important (non-repeatable/phantom reads are OK for their app). It's not so bad; really it's just saying that by default each SELECT is its own transaction.  Perfectly OK in many cases. Flashback can be used to similar effect with more granular control. For example, data pump exports can set a flashback time to ensure consistent results across the entire export (I think that by default the export is only consistent within tables).

-Jeremy

--
http://about.me/jeremy_schneider