Re: I/O waits hurting anyone?

From: Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 08:53:47 -0600

I want to add something to think about [in line with Jonathan & Rick's comments below] about something you asked:

You asked this: "So I am wondering if there is something else about “elapsed time” that makes it a good metric for identifying tuning targets."

​One thing to keep in mind is that if no business user is waiting - imagine a nightly batch process that has an SLA of 4 hours and finishes in 3.5 hours - then this process is a "poor" target for tuning. You need to spend your time tuning those processes that users (and the business) is waiting on. Otherwise it's kind of a wasted effort.

That's one of the key metrics in identifying tuning targets - what is important to the business? Are users waiting on this process? Is the business being impacted negatively by the performance of this query (or set of queries).

Granted, there are some queries that negatively impact other queries and should be tuned even when no user is actively waiting on that specific query (such as queries that burn a lot of CPU time causing other business user queries to wait)

Finally, there is some personal benefit to tuning queries that no one is waiting on just for the experience, but those should be near the bottom of your "to do" list normally. (In my opinion anyway)

Regards,

Chris

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 2:38 AM, Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 12:07 PM, Ric Van Dyke <ric.van.dyke_at_hotsos.com> wrote:

> A question to ask is why is it doing the IO? Can that be “eliminated”?
> As in, is it doing IO that is unnecessary? Like scanning a table or index
> it shouldn’t, doing a full scan where an index would be better (or the
> other way around)? IO has to happen at some point, the key is to do it as
> little as possible.
>

> In the end it’s all about elapsed time. All those things add up as you
> well know of course. So what is taking up the most of the total elapsed
> time? Once you know that, try to get rid of it, or if you have to do it,
> how can you do it faster and/or less often.
>

> Know where your elapsed time is going. This is commonly called a
> PROFILE.
>

> And yes we at Hotsos have a tool called the Hotsos Profiler to do just
> that. All you need is a 10046 trace file of the thing running and it will
> tell you where your time is going.

> Ric Van Dyke
>
> Education Director

Hotsos Ltd.​