Re: training for new DBA's

From: Dave Morgan <oracle_at_1001111.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 20:40:32 -0700

On 02/17/2014 08:42 AM, Jeff C wrote:
> Do you have them backup all the datafiles before starting recovery? If you have a 500g database that will take a long while?

Basic rule for a (production) DBA is he/she must be able to return to where they started at ALL TIMES!

If a recovery cannot be done because something is "changed or lost" then the outage is of infinite length. Therefore, the amount of time a successful recovery takes is irrelevant.

All it takes is one corrupt file in the backup/recovery system and a company can be in a world of hurt.

Ohh, I can't do that, it will take tooo long to do it properly. Wrong attitude, you're gone!

YMMV
Dave

--
Dave Morgan
Senior Consultant, 1001111 Alberta Limited