Re: cross platform migration

From: max scalf <oracle.blog3_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 16:42:27 -0600

Sve/All,

Thanks for you input. i guess RMAN incremental backup/restore/recover is out of the picture and so is data guard. We are going from 10.2.0.4 to 10.2.0.4 (due to some SAP kernel restrictions)

For that 30TB database all that Data is usable(cannot be purge/archived) so we have to move that to a platform, but one thing i can think of is for the big database we do have BCV split/mirror in place, can i somehow use that?

For example
1. on source DB put all tablespace in read only mode and start meta data export(transportable tablespace=y)
2. once in read only mode take a BCV split(in parallel) of all the datafile mount points and mount it on target
3. once the file system is mounted on target, start the RMAN conversion process (how could would this take, is this depended on DB size or what?) 4. once conversion is completed, start the import of the metadata

if above can be used, only concern i have is we have probably about 2k - 3K datafiles(spread across 100's of mount points) or so and i might some how miss doing the convert process in RMAN for those data file or miss them while doing the import part(where i believe i have to give datafile = locations of all files)..any pointers here ?