Warning - 11.2.0.4 upgrade gotcha

From: Chris Dunscombe <cdunscombe_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 15:35:18 +0000 (GMT)

Hi all, Just in case you've not come across it there's a potential gotcha when upgrading to 11.2.0.4. We hit it a couple of weeks ago and I believe it affects all platforms. The issue is caused by the database upgrade script, catupgrd.sql, partitioning the statistics history tables, wri$_optstat_histhead_history etc. So if you've got a lot of data in these tables, either because you're keeping a lot of history or the automatic purge job (runs in the maintenance window)  isn't clearing the data down, then the partitioning can take many hours and hence the upgrade takes many hours. The exact time all depends on your hardware and the amount of data in these history tables. Generally the biggest table is wri$_optstat_histhead_history. The 11.2.0.4 readme doesn't make any reference to this HTH Cheers, Chris