RE: training for new DBA's

From: Maris Elsins <elmaris_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 18:26:49 +0200

Hi all,

I've been involved in training new DBAs. The company I used to work for usually hired 6-8 students simultaneously (from computer science studies) and the target was to keep 1 of 3 (and it was not easy to reach this goal). The method we applied allowed us to understand who's capable of being a good DBA in ~3 months and this is what we did: * Start with reading concept guide, give guidance on where the documentation is, discuss the most important topics. * Assign a mentor for each DBA, so the DBA can ask questions immediately if anything is not clear
* Give each DBA a sandbox VM and a long list of tasks like: install a DB, create a hot backup, create a cold backup, restore from each backup, install a patch, install a patchset, duplicate the database, create a SQL query to fetch some data from the sample schemas (describe what to extract), create a PL/SQL procedure to i.e. receive value as an input and create a table named as the input variable, use exp and expdp to export data and import them in another database. Add more tasks as you go, make tasks more complicated by adding extra requirements if they are too easy

This might sound a bit brutal, but I think, the DBA has to be able to survive the situation where there is much unknown information, be able to search the documentation and the internet for potential solutions and figure out how to apply the solutions that are found for the specific task they have been given. With this approach it's quite easy to see who is interested in DBAs' work, is capable of troubleshooting issues and understanding the documentation. And in fact ones who were not capable of this usually could be identified in 1-2 months time

Maris Elsins

On 4 Feb 2014 15:03, "Ric Van Dyke" <ric.van.dyke_at_hotsos.com> wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> As I always joke "Everyone really wants to be a DBA!" J The interest
is the key, seems like he is someone worth investing in.

> - Ric

need to find out if this person has the potential to be a good DBA. I need to give him some stuff to read and practice on and then test him. He is showing a lot of interest which is good.

> On Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 12:56 PM, Ric Van Dyke <ric.van.dyke_at_hotsos.com>
wrote:

> >> Consider that you want your trainee to succeed, but s/he may not want
to be a DBA in 6 months or a year ... have your time and company money been totally wasted?

> Gee, then why train anyone eh? Seriously LACK of training can be just as
much a deterrent on retention. Giving good training on a regular bases is likely to keep folks around not the opposite.

> Being in the education world as I am, I believe in classroom training,
next online and then very last self-training like books and CBT type. Books and CBTs are excellent for refresher or "feature" type training. (Like, how to I use virtual columns?) But to learn something "new" it's quite hard to do with that style of training.

> I know from personal experience when I was a neophyte DBA that just
taking 2 DBA/SQL classes back then shot me way up the curve. I had been struggling for 18 months or so before my first class. Sure the databases "worked" but wow! Once I had some formal training things really got going much better and I had a much better idea of what to even look at.

> Training might appear to be expensive, but ignorance is far more.
>

> +--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+--+
>
> Ric Van Dyke
>
> Education Director
>
> Hotsos Ltd.
>

> Hotsos Symposium March 2-6 2014
>
> Make your plans to be there now!

On Behalf Of Wayne Smith
> Sent: Monday, February 03, 2014 2:48 PM
> To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
>

> Subject: Re: training for new DBA's
>

> Wow, I think I disagree with just about every response here, except for
the need of sandboxes. (Sorry!)

> I think you should look at what you need from your new DBA(s).
>
> DBAs come in all shapes, interests and skills, as will your would-be DBA
trainee(s)s. Figure what your company needs from its DBAs and this(these) DBA(s) in particular. Make a plan for each one that will get them functional, useful and independent as quickly as possible with a plan of skill development over the coming months, with a look at progress and needs every 3-6-12 months.

> Consider that you want your trainee to succeed, but s/he may not want to
be a DBA in 6 months or a year ... have your time and company money been totally wasted?

> Cheers, Wayne
>

> On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 6:11 PM, Jeff C <backseatdba_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> We are looking at training a new DBA from scratch (hiring from within)
and I am looking for any opinions on where/how/what to train this person on. I was thinking of starting with just basic SQL and relational database design then onto some pl/sql. After that move on to dba stuff.

> Is there any good free or cheap places to get this kind of training?
>
> And how would you test a very beginner candidate to know if they would be
a good fit for this position. Any questions or tests I good give them?  What would you look for?