Re: DBAs running root.sh

From: Norman Dunbar <oracle_at_dunbar-it.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2014 20:31:49 +0000

Evening Austin,

On 03/02/14 17:08, Austin Hackett wrote:
> Hi List
>
> If you work in a security conscious environment, I'd be keen to hear how your site handles the root.sh script.
Some places I've worked allowed root access directly (logging in with the password), others had a secure shell type setup where we had to execute a "special" command set up by the security team which allowed us to login as root (using our own password) and which logged who we were and everything we did while running as root. Other places used sudo, with a limited set of allowed calls.

I much prefer the latter, it's more secure and limits the processes that can be run.

HTH Cheers,
Norm.

--
Norman Dunbar