Re: DBAs running root.sh

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 09:27:04 -0800 (PST)

We use a script to invoke 'root' access via sudo privileges for the calling user.  The script creates an account-specific log recording the actions of the connected user so the SAs can monitor what 'root'-privileged DBA users are doing.  We do something similar for the 'oracle' account, as it is also considered a 'privileged' O/S account on the database servers.  Such an implementation tends to make the privileged users less likely to do what they shouldn't.   David Fitzjarrell Primary author, "Oracle Exadata Survival Guide" On Monday, February 3, 2014 10:09 AM, Austin Hackett <hacketta_57_at_me.com> wrote: Hi List If you work in a security conscious environment, I'd be keen to hear how your site handles the root.sh script. To give you some background: In my environment, DBAs are currently given direct root access to allow them to run root.sh. However, the SA Team would like to tighten this up. If giving the DBAs direct root access isn't acceptable (not even temporarily) then two options spring to my mind: 1) SA team run root.sh on behalf of the DBAs.  Geography and logistics in my organisation are such that having an SA walk over to the DBAs desk is a realistic option. Our SAs aren't keen on this approach 2) Give DBAs the ability to run root.sh as the root user via sudo. This, of course, means that DBAs can run anything they like by editing root.sh, so doesn't really help. Understandably our SAs don't like this approach I am being asked to look into keeping Oracle software version specific root.sh scripts in a root-owned location (we are Linux only, so no multi-platform concerns). This would allow for secure sudo privileges. We'd need these for RDBMS, Grid Infrastructure, and Client. However, I've explained  the scripts are dynamically generated by runInstaller and have the Oracle Home path hard-coded into them. We'd need a root-owned root.sh for every distinct ORACLE_HOME path we create (some hosts have multiple homes, so there's dbhome_1, dbhome_2 etc.). Maybe there are other considerations that I'm unaware of - I don't really like to second guess what else is going on in the "closed box" of the OUI that could be host dependent. To my mind, taking this non-standard approach is  more risky than having someone run the script on our behalf, even if it risks introducing delays into the build process. How is this handled in your organisation? Have you ever been asked to have a centralised set of root.sh scripts under root control for this reason? Have you made it work? If anyone has some time to share their experiences, it would be much appreciated. Regards Austin -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l