RE: Long query time from V$ views on standby

From: Ric Van Dyke <ric.van.dyke_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 16:54:11 -0500

Hi Don,
I doubt it's caching that caused you to have better performance, since I bet most of the data in both would be in cache. More likely I think you happened to have less contention at that moment then the other times. The query hits the X$KCCTS and X$KCVDF dictionary tables which are going to be pretty heavily used by the standby process, since it's doing data block recovery basically as it runs. Doing nearly anything on a standby (while in standby mode) is likely to have contention issues.

Not to say that the NAS storage might be party of the issue. If the IO system can't keep up with all the writing, then it will amplify the contention issues. My guess is that the IPC reply waits are being caused by the MRP process. If you catch it when it is applying a lot of data queries on those views in particular are going to have some reasonable contention.

Hope this helps
- Ric