Accessing over the link, and SERIAL_FROM_REMOTE

From: Dhimant Patel <drp4kri_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 11:57:13 -0400

Hi All,
Running Oracle 11g SE on Linux CentOS 6, no advisory pack licensed.

Our production instance so far is accessing some tables from another instance over the link, both instances hosted at the same location and connected over the gigabit ethernet.

We quantified the data, at some extent, that were passing over the link and decided to use DRIVING_SITE hint to process most queries at the remote database, and we were fine so far.

Lately our developers are concerned that we are spending lot of time moving the data over the link and by moving all remote tables to the local instance will help improve the queries, to that I agree.

But my concern is this - our production instance is running on almost current hardware and it's already showing some stress - like the normal server load will stay constantly above 1 and for the large portion of time above 1.5.

I'm concerned now that moving all remote tables to local instance will deteriorate overall web response.

Should I be concerned? Is there anyway I can quantify the things in more granular way?

Thanks in advance.
DP