ORA-00018 but where are the connections coming from?

From: Peter Hitchman <pjhoraclel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 13:02:41 +0100

Database: Oracle EE 11.1.0.7.5
OS: RHL 4 Hi
This Saturday just gone, one of our production databases suffered a partial outage because all of the available sessions on the first of the two cluster instances got used up.

We only have the local database console recording management data, which connects to instance 1, so as a result there is about a 3 hour gap in what I can see in dba_hist_active_sess_history.

Having checked dba_hist_resource_limit, I can see when the problem occurred by the lack of snapshots on instance 1.

Anybody got any good ideas on how to find out where the sessions originated from?

Thanks
Pete