Re: SQL has me confused.

From: Adric Norris <landstander668_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 10:15:05 -0500

Personally, I prefer the ANSI syntax in most cases (and also haven't personally encountered any issues with it under 11.2.x). I find the separation between "core" join conditions and unrelated business-rule filters to be easier to follow, *especially* when outer joins are involved, and will often rewrite statements into their ANSI equivalent when assisting developers in troubleshooting efforts. The process of deconstruction / reconstruction process helps a great deal in understanding what the more complex statements are actually doing... granted, this process doesn't in and of itself require any specific SQL dialect. I've been working with Oracle since version 7.2, and in my opinion the native outer join syntax is a freakin' train wreck waiting to happen. It's quirky as hell, not to mention confusing, and the clarity of the ANSI version is a 10,000% improvement.