RE: Oracle Licensing on VMware

From: Hodge, Cameron <cameron.hodge_at_amec.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 20:55:21 +0800

I've used these.

They are not "official" though.

http://longwhiteclouds.com/oracle/

http://longwhiteclouds.com/2012/07/21/fight-the-fud-oracle-licensing-and-support-on-vmware-vsphere/

-----Original Message-----

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Niels Jespersen Sent: Friday, 11 October 2013 6:47 PM
To: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'
Subject: Oracle Licensing on VMware

Hello

We are running a few Oracle (11.2) databases on VMware. We have of course licensed all CPUs in the underlying physical machine.

But where can I find official licensing rules regarding Oracle Database on VMware and other virtualization environments?

The Licensing Information manual does not mention virtualized environments at all. Beyond that I have only found a paper named "Oracle Partitioning Policy" that more or less explains that you have to license the full host in case of "soft partitioning" like VMware.

Nothing about VMware clustering, vMotion, DRS (Dynamic Resource Scheduling) and so on.

I could, of course, ask my Oracle representative, but I prefer to read the official wording (if it exists) in solitude before that.

Regards Niels Jespersen

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l This email contains confidential information. The contents must not be disclosed to anyone else except with the authority of the sender. Unauthorised recipients are requested to maintain this confidentiality and immediately advise the sender of any error or misdirection in transmission.

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri Oct 11 2013 - 14:55:21 CEST

Original text of this message