RE: Rman connection error

From: Michael Schmitt <mschmitt_at_uchicago.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 17:50:36 +0000

Hello,

So I had 4 other installs of 11202 that were able to connect to the catalog without issue. I noticed there were a number of patches applies to the 11202 binaries on the system I was seeing the error. I relinked the binaries and now the connection works. I am not sure why I would have been receiving the ORA-01017 error, but looks like it is resolved now

Thanks

From: Jeffrey Beckstrom [mailto:JBECKSTROM_at_gcrta.org] Sent: Monday, October 07, 2013 12:14 PM
To: ORACLE-L; sethmiller.sm_at_gmail.com; Michael Schmitt Subject: RE: Rman connection error

By chance, if you start rman and from within RMAN issue a connect command does it work. We had that problem after a server failure and our network folks found a configuration error.

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Database Administrator
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority Information Systems 1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113
>>> Michael Schmitt
>>> <mschmitt_at_uchicago.edu<mailto:mschmitt_at_uchicago.edu>> 10/7/13 12:47
>>> PM >>>

Hi Seth

The instance hosting the catalog is not a RAC database.

We have a Dataguard database(primary) running on server A. This database is connecting to the catalog running on instance CATPRD (let's say on server B) to run the backups. This is working fine so far without any connection issue. The database being backed up is running version 11202. The CATPRD database on server B is running 11203. The catalog that the primary database is running on was created with 11202

On server C which is where we want to run a restore test, when I attempt to connect to the rman catalog using 11202, that is when I receive the invalid username password error

>rman catalog mike/mike_at_CATPRD

Recovery Manager: Release 11.2.0.2.0 - Production on Mon Oct 7 09:41:55 2013 Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved. recovery catalog database Password:

RMAN-00554: initialization of internal recovery manager package failed RMAN-04004: error from recovery catalog database: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

Thanks,
Mike