Re: Fw: ORA-3135 Fixed by PC Restart

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 15:32:51 -0600

Charlotte,
The ORA-1041 indicates that there is something wrong with your Oracle client-side installation, or there is something wrong with the environment, because that error means that SQL*Plus cannot find the language-specific file to translate the error number (i.e. "-3135") into the corresponding descriptive text (i.e. "connection lost contact" in English).

Which likely means that SQL*Plus is indeed experiencing the ORA-3135 as well, but not finding the ".msg" file is an additional problem on top of that.

In the past, I've used a clue contained within MOS Note #730066.1 (entitled "/Diagnosis of ORA-3135/3136 Timeouts When The Fault Is In The Database/") and queried the V$ACTIVE_SESSION_HISTORY view for the 20 seconds preceding the occurrance of the ORA-3135 error up to 5 seconds afterwards. The exact time of the ORA-3135 error is easy to obtain because a corresponding ORA-3136 error is logged to the database alert.log file. While querying V$ACTIVE_SESSION_HISTORY, I look for wait-events (i.e. column EVENT) in the class of "Concurrency" or "Cluster" or anything other than "ON CPU" or "User I/O". A good starting query might be something like...

    select event, count(*) cnt
    from gv$active_session_history
    group by event
    having count(*) > 10
    order by cnt desc;

This might begin to point you towards the root cause, if it resides in the database. Please feel free to share the results of this query with the list, if possible?

Thanks!

-Tim